22 July 2012


The British actor, Daniel RADCLIFFE, star of the Harry Potter movies, has some South African roots, as well as Polish, Russian, Jewish and Northern Irish roots. Daniel's maternal grandfather was South African, and his mother was born in South Africa. According to Daniel, his grandfather was not a pleasant man, and his grandmother fled with their 2-year-old daughter to England on a South African Airways flight in 1960.

Daniel and his mother.
Image from fanpop.com
Daniel Jacob RADCLIFFE was born on 23 July 1989 at Queen Charlotte's Hospital, London, the only child of Alan George RADCLIFFE (literary agent, and originally from Northern Ireland) and Marcia Gresham JACOBSON (casting agent). They were married in 1984 in London. Alan is the son of Teddy RADCLIFFE and Elsie May. Marcia was born in 1958 in South Africa, and was raised in Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex. She used the GRESHAM surname instead of JACOBSON. She was a talented ballerina, having won 10 trophies and several medals by the age of 11. Her parents, Wilfred JACOBSON and Muriel Jean Patricia GRESHAM, were married in 1956 in Paddington, London. Muriel was born on 10 May 1922 in Southend-on-Sea, Essex, the daughter of Samuel GERSHON and Raie Diana JACOBS. Wilfred was the son of S.H. JACOBSON. Muriel sailed to South Africa from London on 05 March 1957 onboard the "City of Durban". Her address in the ship's passenger list was given as 2 Milton Court, Station Rd, Westcliff, England. Wilfred and Muriel divorced in South Africa in 1958. She uses the name Patricia and lives in Essex, where she is an artist. There is a Wilfred JACOBSON who was born 18 Sept 1919 and died in 1994 in South Africa, divorced, but I have not yet confirmed that it is the same person as Daniel's grandfather.

Daniel and his father
There was a Wilfred JACOBSON, age 20, who sailed from Durban on the "Pretoria Castle", arriving in Southampton on 18 Jan 1952. Other passenger lists show Isaac Wilfred JACOBSON, age 42, sailed on the "Stirling Castle" from Durban, arriving in Southampton on 06 May 1938. He sailed agin, age 52, from Durban on the "Cape Town Castle", arriving in Southampton on 19 Mar 1948. He sailed again from Durban on the same ship, arriving in Southampton on 25 Apr 1952.

But impossible to know the ancestors of his father at the moment, apart from the famous "Great Uncle Ernie" killed in action during the Battle of Loos in France and his grandmother Elsie May Radcliffe (wife of the late Teddy Radcliffe), died in 2008.

Daniel's paternal grandmother was Elsie May, born in Banbridge. She lived in Cline Walk and died on 02 October 2008 at Craigavon Hospital, after taking ill at a church concert. Some of her family live in the Dromore area. Elsie is survived by her daughter Linda MCWILLIAMS (Dromore, married to Drew), son Alan (married to Marcia), three grandchildren Daniel, Stephen and Philip, and two sisters Jean WYLIE (Banbridge) and Eileen REID (Tandragee). Alan was a former pupil of Banbridge High School.

Daniel's great-uncle, Ernie, on his father's side, died at the Battle of Loos in France during World War I. Daniel played the role of Jack KIPLING, the 18-year-old son of writer Rudyard KIPLING, killed in the same battle. This was the ITV1 drama My Boy Jack.

Samuel GERSHON was a jeweller, born in 1894 in Hackney, London to Louis GERSHON and Jessie LIPMAN. Louis and Jessie married circa 1886, and emigrated from Eastern Europe to England, via Cape Town. Their children, John, Annie and Julia were born in South Africa. Louis was born in 1861 in the town of Wreschen by Posen, Germany, and died in 1919 in Hackney, London. Jessie was born in 1864 in Lurig, Poland, and died in 1941 in Hendon, Middlesex.

1901 England Census
Street Address: 93 Downs Road, Hackney
Lewis GERSHON, age 42, born circa 1859 in Germany, dealer in jewellery
Jessy GERSHON, age 36, born circa 1865 in Russia
John GERSHON, age 14, born circa 1887 in Cape Town, South Africa
Annie GERSHON, age 12, born circa 1889 in Kimberley, South Africa
Julia GERSHON, age 10, born circa 1891 in the Orange Free State, South Africa
Samuel GERSHON, age 7, born circa 1894 in Hackney, London
Alfred GERSHON, age 5, born circa 1896 in Hackney, London
Marie GERSHON, age 3, born circa 1898 in Hackney, London
David GERSHON, age 4 months, born circa 1900 in Hackney, London
Lizzie HANNON, age 26, born circa 1875 in Southampton, domestic servant
Lily GREEN, age 22, born circa 1879 in Hackney, London, domestic servant

1911 England Census
Street Address: 138 Clapton Common, Hackney
Louis GERSHON, age 50, born circa 1861 in Germany, diamond merchant.
Jessie GERSHON, age 47, born circa 1864 in Russia
Annie GERSHON, age 22, born circa 1889 in Kimberley, South Africa
Julia GERSHON, age 20, born circa 1891
Samuel GERSHON, age 17, born circa 1894, jewellers's apprentice
Alfred GERSHON, age 15, born circa 1896 in London, jeweller's apprentice
Marie GERSHON, age 13, born circa 1898 in London, scholar
Edward GERSHON, age 11, born circa 1900 in London, scholar
Gladys GERSHON, age 7, born circa 1904 in London, scholar
Harry GERSHON, infant, born circa 1911 in London
Gertie STREETER, age 15, born circa 1896 in London, domestic servant
Caroline TAYLOR, age 29, born circa 1882 in Walthamstow, domestic servant

Samuel GERSHON married Raie Diana JACOBS in 1921 in Rochford, Essex. She was born on 14 Sept 1895, the daughter of Emmanuel JACOBS, a fruit salesman. Samuel died in 1936 in Hertfordshire. Raie died in 1977 at Southend-on-Sea. Emmanuel was born 1867/8, the son of Charles Abraham JACOBS, a greengrocer, and his wife Miriam. Emmanuel married Julia JACOBS, the daughter of Frederick JACOBS, a fruiterer of Brixton, and his wife Sarah. Emmanuel died in 1937 in Essex.

1901 England Census
Street Address: 22 Tavistock Place, St Giles
Emanuel JACOBS, age 33, born circa 1868 in Strand, London, fruit salesman
Julia JACOBS, age 28, born circa 1873 in Strand, London
Maire JACOBS, age 6, born circa 1895 in Strand, London
Sadie JACOBS, age 5, born circa 1896 in Strand, London
Raie JACOBS, age 3, born circa 1898 in Strand, London
Charles JACOBS, age 5 weeks, born circa 1901 in St Pancras, London

1881 England Census
Street Address: 60A Atlantic Road with 1 and 2 Vining Street
Frederick JACOBS, age 34, born circa 1847 in St Giles, Middlesex, Fruiterer (Master, employing 2 men and 1 boy)
Sarah JACOBS, age 36, born circa 1845 in Covent Garden, Middlesex
Julia JACOBS, age 9, born circa 1872 in Covent Garden, Middlesex, Scholar
Hannah JACOBS, age 7, born circa 1874 in Covent Garden, Middlesex, Scholar
Louisa JACOBS, age 4, born circa 1877 in Covent Garden, Middlesex
Adelaide JACOBS, age 2, born circa 1879 in Covent Garden, Middlesex
Annie YOUNG, age 22, born circa 1859 in Windsor, Berkshire, Nurse Domestic Servant
Eliza EDWARDS, age 20, born circa 1861 in Scotland, General Servant
Sophia PHILLIPS, age 18, born circa 1863 in Middlesex City, Middlesex, Visitor

1911 England Census
Street Address: 15 Long Acre W C, Strand
Charles Abraham JACOBS, age 73, born circa 1838 in Cove
Mariam JACOBS, age 68, born circa 1843 in Field
Henry JACOBS, age 38, born circa 1873 in Cove, Commission Agent
Hannah Elizabeth JACOBS, age 28, born circa 1883 in Cove, Home Assistant
Marie Rose JACOBS, age 25, born circa 1886 in Cove, Dressmaker
Lillian Maud JACOBS, age 23, born circa 1888 in St Martins, Milliner
Gladyse OVERTON, age 17, born circa 1894 in Stow, Domestic Servant

Harry Potter in Cradock
In an unrelated (so far) story, a real Harry POTTER died on 27 July 1910 at the age of 46 in South Africa. He was buried in the Cradock Cemetery. He was the husband of Blanche Elizabeth BRUCE, who died on 29 December 1942 at the age of 82. The inscription on the tombstone reads: "In Sacred Memory of Harry Potter - died July 27 1910. Aged 47 years. I have loved thee with an everlasting love, therefore with loving kindness have I drawn thee." This Harry was related to the 1820 British Settlers.

There is also a Harry POTTER near Tel Aviv. Corporal Harry POTTER was a 19-year-old British soldier in the Royal Worcestershire Regiment, who died in 1939 during fighting in Hebron and was buried in Ramle, south of Tel Aviv.

14 July 2012


South Africa’s official participation in the Olympic Games only started in 1908, not 1904. The 1904 representation was not an official team. It was referred to as the "Boer team" and they took part in the tug-of-war. Two "Zulus" accompanied the team, and once there, became the first Blacks from Africa to take part in the Olympic Games. According to the Official Report of the Games by Charles J.P. LUCAS, there were three marathon runners - LENTAUW and YAMASANI from Zululand, and Robert (Bob or Bertie) HARRIS from the Transvaal. These people were all part of the Boer War Spectacle at the World’s Fair in St. Louis, Missouri. The Boer War Spectacle was held from 17 June until 01 December 1904. The 1904 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the III Olympiad, took place at what is now known as Francis Field on the campus of Washington University. Athletes from 13 countries entered. Of the 625 athletes, only eight were women.

St. Louis planned a World’s Fair for 1904 to commemorate the purchase from France a century before, of the Louisiana territory. The International Olympic Committee gave Chicago the third Olympiad in 1904. After much discussion, Chicago agreed that it would be better if St. Louis hosted the Games too. On the Witwatersrand, a daily newspaper, the Rand Daily Mail dated 01 March 1904, ran a notice: "Boer War Exhibition, A chance for the unemployed! £4 per month and deductions." Those interested contacted the South African Boer War Exhibition Company in Pretoria. Soon there were 300 Boer veterans and 250 British / Colonial veterans signed up. They were to reconstruct at the World’s Fair two Anglo-Boer War battles and General DE WET's escape.

This company was created by Captain Arthur Waldo LEWIS of St. Louis, who had fought in the Anglo-Boer War with the Rhodesians. He arrived at the Cape shortly after the war broke out, and joined the Bushveld Carbineers. He was wounded at Mafeking, earning his Captain rank. Arthur had General Ben VILJOEN's support in staging this show. Henry MEYER, the owner of a building company in Pretoria and a former St. Louis resident, was in charge of getting financing via the selling of shares in the company. Three thousand shares were sold in the USA, and 2000 in South Africa. The "team" were to each receive £4 per month and free passage to the USA with free medical and accommodation. A bonus of £25 would be paid at the end of show for good behaviour. After the show, they had the choice to remain in the USA or pay their own way back to South Africa. Arthur would be in charge of organising the British contigent and General VILJOEN the Boers. The British contigent was made up of British, Australian, Canadian and Colonial former soldiers.The General's assistants included Commandants J.N. BOSHOFF, P.D. MOLL, G.M.J. VAN DAM, G. MARE and Captain A.H. BLEKSLEY. Arthur was assisted by Major W. STEWART and Captains S.H. CHAPIN, F.J. FRANKLIN and E.W. DIX. Arthur recruited General Piet CRONJE for the show. Frank E. FILLIS, the well-known circus boss, was made a director. He recruited about 50 Blacks, and collected the props for the show, including 600 horses. He was assisted by George PRESCOTT, his assistant at the Fillis Circus.

On Sunday 06 March 1904, a train departed from Braamfontein with 150 Boers, including Gen. CRONJE, for Delagoa Bay, where they boarded the Doune Castle. In Cape Town, the British contigent joined the ship, and they all left on 12 March for the USA. The number of participants is not accurately known. Some sources state 320, of which 200 were Boers, others say 500. In the Cape Times newspaper dated 21 Dec 1904, Arthur states there were 418 participants onboard, but this number did not include the Black recruits, said to be 24. The show's programme stated "all persons taking part in this military display, 600 in all, are men and women brought from various and distant parts of South Africa". It also stated that 200 were British / Colonial.

Gen. VILJOEN and Arthur sailed via London to St. Louis in November 1903. The Doune Castle arrived in Newport News, Virginia, on 06 April. They were met by a South African living in the USA, Luscombe SEARELLE, who was put in charge of finances. The group travelled to St. Louis by train. Britain had objected to the show via diplomatic routes. This caused some shareholders to pull out of the company. ventually, Henry J. MEYER of Pretoria and various St. Louis businessmen raised $100 000 to save the show, and the first show was finally held on 17 June.

On 08 August, the newspapers reported that R.W. HARRIS from "Aliwal South, Cape Town" was a well-known middle-distance runner and that he was in daily training for the Olympic marathon. Robert HARRIS was from Aliwal North, born in 1884.

The two "Zulus" were not from Zululand, but more likely Tswanas from the Western Transvaal. Gen. Piet CRONJE was from Tswana country. After his surrender at the Battle of Paardeberg, his wife and some of his Black servants accompanied him into exile on St. Helena Island. There are photos of Len TAU as a Boer prisoner-of-war on St Helena. Their names were phonetically noted in many versions in the American newspapers and the official programmes. Their correct names were Len TAUNYANE and Jan MASHIANI. The only official photo of the two, held by the Missouri Historical Society, notes them incorrectly. The barefooted Len TAUNYANE should be the taller of the two, with the number 35 on his chest. The official programme stated that they had been messengers for the Boers during the war. The St. Louis Post Dispatch reported that they were dispatch runners for the British Army during the war.

The official programme for the marathon race, shows B.W. HARRIS in number one, and LENTAUW and YAMASANI in numbers 35 and 36 respectively. There were 38 competitors, of which only 32 took part. The marathon, over 40 kilometers / 24.85 miles, started on Tuesday 30 August and was run in hot and dusty conditions. The runners started in two rows, HARRIS being in the front row and the two Blacks in the back row. HARRIS dropped out of the race before having covered 15 miles. LENTAUW finished ninth and YAMASANI twelfth. According to the St. Louis Daily Globe-Democrat, LENTAUW was chased by a dog. It is possible that the Globe-Democrat confused the two runners. According to the race results published by Bill MALLON, Lentauw was 12th at five miles, 16th at 10 miles, 14th at 15 miles and 13th at 20 miles. Yamasani at five miles was 14th, at 10 miles he was 23rd, 15th again at 15 miles and in 14th place at 20 miles. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported they ran barefooted, but the official photo taken prior to the race, shows only LENTAU barefooted.

Len Tau, second from left, as a Boer prisoner-of-war on St. Helena Island
The participants in the tug-of-war event were Pieter WILLEMSE, Pieter LOMBARD, Johannes SCHUTTE, Paulus VISSER and Christopher WALKER. The team placed 5th, having lost to the Milwaukee Athletic Club.

At the International Olympic Committee meeting in July 1907 a motion that the four British colonies - the Cape of Good Hope, Natal, the Orange River Colony and the Transvaal - should be allowed to participate at the Olympic Games in London under the umbrella name of South Africa was tabled. This motion was accepted. The Union of South Africa was only formed three years later – on 31 May 1910. On 03 January 1908 a National Olympic Committee for South Africa was established, with its first president the mining magnate Henry NOURSE, an athlete in his youth.

Although time was short to organise enough funds to send a representative team to the Games in London, the South African Olympic Committee nominated a team of fifteen. This team consisted of seven athletes, four cyclists, three tennis players and a fencer. The team wore green with the Springbok emblem on the chest. More than 2000 athletes from 22 nations took part. Reggie WALKER, a 19-year-old from Natal, was South Africa's first gold medal winner, taking the 100 metres in 10,8 seconds. Marathon runner Charles HEFFERON won a silver medal.

Reggie Walker, South Africa's first
gold medal winner
1) Reginald (Reggie) Edgar WALKER was born on 16 March 1889 in Durban, the son of Samuel Ogden WALKER of Manchester. He died on 05 November 1951 in Durban. He was married to Sarah Ann WORSLEY of Manchester. He attended Boys Model School in Durban. The couple had one son and lived at 21 Cambridge Drive, Durban North.

2) Edward (Eddie) John DUFFY was born on 06 June 1883 in Ryno. He died on 19 October 1918 in Johannesburg.

3) Herbert (Bertie) Thorne PHILLIPS was born on 20 June 1883 in Pretoria, the son of George PHILLIPS. He died on 05 August 1977 in Pretoria.

4) Charles Archie HEFFERON was born on 15 January 1878 in Newbury, West Berkshire, England. He died on 15 March 1931/3 in Orangeville, Ontario, Canada. He came to South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War as a member of the South African Constabulary, and stayed on until 1909. At the time of the Games he worked as prison warden in Bloemfontein. After the Games he moved to Canada.

Charles Hefferon, South Africa's first silver medal winner
5) James Mitchell BAKER was born on 14 February 1878 in Glasgow, Scotland. He died on 14 December 1956 in George, Cape. He served in the Anglo-Boer War, First World War and Second World War. His medals included the C.B., C.B.E., and D.S.O. He was ADC to the King, Chief Staff Officer in South West Africa, seconded to British Army, served in Egypt, Flanders and France. He returned to South Africa in 1920. He was married to Madge GAYLARD.

6) Douglas (Doug) Annesley David STUPART was born on 30 March 1882. He died on 06 May 1951. He was married to Mabel BREMNER.

7) John (Vincent) Andrew de Villiers DUNCKER was born on 09 November 1884 in Wepener. His father was a German who immigrated to the Transvaal in 1880, where he married a Boer woman and had two sons and one daughter. After 10 years in Transvaal he lost his German civil rights and became a citizen of Transvaal, as did his children. After the Anglo-Boer War, in which he and his sons were involved, they returned to Germany in 1903 and again were granted German civil rights. When Vincent competed in the 1906 Olympics, he did so for Germany. After he finished his studies in 1907 he returned to South Africa and was entered for the 1908 Olympics for South Africa, but was unable to start due to a severe attack of rheumatism. He married Johanna GRILL. They divorced in 1919. He died in South Africa.

8) Floris (Floors) T. VENTER was born in 1886.

9) Philippus (Philip) Thomas FRYLINCK was born in 1886 in Graaff-Reinet. He died on 15 December 1908. He was married to Magdalena Susanna.

10) Frank SHORE was born in 1887.

11) Thomas (Harry) Henry Eddy PASSMORE was born on 19 June 1884 in Grahamstown, the son of John Frederick PASSMORE. He was an engineer by profession. He died on 08 May 1955 in Pretoria. He was married to Elizabeth SCHRODEL.

12) Harold (Harry) Austin KITSON was born on 17 June 1874 in Richmond, Natal. He died on 30 November 1951 in Umkomaas. He was married to Nora Ethel Frances WOOD.

13) Victor Reginald GAUNTLETT was born in 1884 in Forest Hill, Greater London, England. He died on 12 February 1949 in Witbank. He was married to Mabel Fanny PECK.

14) John P. RICHARDSON was born in 1874 in Madagascar.

15) Walter Percy / Price GATES was born in 1874. He died in 1939 in the Transvaal. He was married to Wilhelmina Mary HOREIS on 05 March 1901 in Cape Town. He was an Officer in the Mercantile Marine.

07 July 2012


The tourist town of Pilgrim's Rest in Mpumalanga is facing sure closure after 17 businesses were ordered to close their doors by month end. The businesses were issued with eviction notices last Friday by the province's Department of Public Works, Roads and Transport. The town is owned and run by the Department of Public Works, and business owners lease the properties. The historic gold mining town dates back to the 1800s. The conservation of Pilgrim's Rest as a cultural and historic asset began in 1974 when the provincial government purchased the town from mining company Barlow Rand. In 1986 the village of Pilgrim's Rest and the farm Ponieskrantz, on which the village is situated, were declared National Monuments. Tourism is the backbone of the small town's economy.

Sharon PATERSON, owner of Ponieskrantz Arts and Craft as well as the Pilgrim's Pantry shop, said her staff are very worried, and locals are devastated by the news. She will have to issue notices of termination of employment to her 50 employees, after running the two shops for the past 20 years. Her employees manufacture stained glass doors, lamps, chandeliers and hot-glass jewellery.

The Department's spokesman, Dumisa MALAMULE, said the department advertised the leasing of the buildings on tender bulletin in October and the closing date was in November. The leases of all business which were on tender had expired, according to him. The tender process was finalised in June 2012. Resident Isabel JACOBS said that not one business owner’ was informed beforehand that their business was up for grabs. They saw the advertisement in the Government Gazette in November. All the business owners attended the tender meeting, and submitted their tender documents. Sharon also tendered for the leases in November, but since then they have not heard anything from the Department, until they received eviction notices. Pilgrim's Rest Golf Club manager, Henry VAN NIEKERK, was shocked when three "aggressive" Public Works officials gave him a four-sentence letter to vacate the the golf course. He refused to sign for the letter. Royal Hotel manager, Chris AUTY, said they have not been affected as the hotel is run on behalf of the government. Pilgrim's Rest Tourism officer, Sherry GOODWIN, who also serves on the local Chamber of Commerce, believes that the motivation behind the closure of these businesses was to transform the economy by giving tenders to previously disadvantaged business people.

The Department awarded 21 building leases to 14 successful bidders, of which only five are existing business owners elsewhere. The awarding of multiple leases to five bidders has raised suspicion over the tender process. Many of these bidders are alleged not to have start-up capital or the relevant business licences. The list of awarded tenders includes Matletle Construction and Projects cc, awarded five leases to run Mrs Mac's Shop, Pilgrim's Pantry, the Pilgrim's Rest Golf Course, The Daisy, and the Pilgrim's Rest Caravan Park. This close corporation only has one member, Suzan Patricia KHOZA. Timbhulu Construction and Projects cc has been awarded leases for Mona Cottage, The Vine, and Chaitow's Restaurant. This close corporation also only has one member, Rachel Tsakane KHOZA. Urizima 83 cc was awarded Pilgrim's Place and the Leather Shop. Mangwanyane Trading was awarded the leases for the petrol station, Highwayman's Garage, and Scott's Cafe.

The Chairman of the Pilgrim's Rest Chamber of Business, Marius BRUMMER, who lost the bid for the Highwayman's Garage, said Mangwanyane did not have the necessary capital or licences to run the petrol station. He said directors of the firm had asked him to help them run the business "because they definitely do not have the capital". You also need to have a site licence and a retail licence, which they do not have that. The existing licences are in Marius' name. The law states that to purchase and retail fuel, you need a licence from the Department of Energy. The new occupier will need R1.5 million to fill the tanks and pay security to BP. The town's only ATM is part of the petrol station. Marius will have to give notice to his 11 staff members, after 10 years of operating the business.

Johnny REINDERS has operated The Vine and Johhny’s Pub for 18 years. He is well-known for his knowledge of the village and its history. His business was awarded to Timbhulu Construction and Projects. He said he consulted his lawyer in January and was prepared to go to court to fight for his business. His lease is valid until December 2015.

From 01 August, 18 businesses will have new occupiers, of which 16 are new to Pilgrim’s Rest and have never operated a business there. The new occupiers will be moving into empty shells, as they were only awarded leases for the business premises, not the furniture or other goods, which remains the property of the current business owners. According to the new lease agreements, tenants must also pay three months rent up front.

Belvedere Metal Crafts – JM Chaplin
Clewer General Store – Highwayman’s Garage (was Marius Brummer)
Mrs Mac’s Shop – Matletle Construction and Projects
Highwayman’s Garage – Mangwanyane Trading
Old Print Shop – Kensington BEE (PTY) LTD
Pilgrim’s Pantry – Matletle Construction and Projects
Pilgrim’s Place – Urizima 83 CC
Ponieskrantz Arts and Crafts – Silver Ruby Trading 1037 CC
Old Stables – Lorraine Swanepoel
Mona Cottage – Timbhulu Construction and Projects
Scott’s Café – Mangwanyane Trading
Golf Course – Matletle Construction and Projects
The Daisy – Matletle Construction and Projects
The Iron Store – Shan Paton
The Leather Shop – Urizima 84 CC
The Vine – Timbhulu Construction and Projects
The Royal Liqour Store – Ligcabho Le’Africa Trading
Africa Silk – Nosibusiso Kock
Central Garage – NNA Gape Trading and Project
Caravan Park – Matletle Construction and Projects
Chaitows – Timbhulu Construction and Projects CC

The new occupiers are not obliged to employ former staff members. By the end of the month, these local employees will be out of jobs, with no prospects in sight. Hendry NONYANE was born in Pilgrim’s Rest. The 66-year-old man has been working at the Highwayman’s Garage since 1982. He is the breadwinner of his household and has two children who are still at school. He also sends money to five family members in Bushbuckridge every month.

The Democratic Alliance in the province has called on Mpumalanga's Premier to investigate the process. The Freedom Front Plus wants the Public Protector to investigate the tender process too.

Wheelbarrow Patterson
The history of Pilgrim's Rest dates back to 1873 when a miner, Alec PATTERSON, discovered alluvial gold on the farm Ponieskrantz. He had left the Mac-Mac area to search for a place that was less congested. By the end of 1873 there were close to 1000 diggers at the Mac Mac diggings. Alec PATTERSON was a loner, who pushed his possessions around the area in a wheelbarrow, earning the nickname Wheelbarrow Patterson or Wheelbarrow Alec. He came to the area from the Kimberley fields. The discovery was kept secret, until prospector William TRAFFORD also discovered gold near by. He registered his claim in September 1873 at the Mac Mac office of the Gold Commissioner, Major W. MACDONALD, an American. Soon there were over 200 gold diggers and prospectors from all over the country and the world. Pilgrim's Rest was officially proclaimed a gold field on 22 September 1873. By early January 1874, the Gold Commissioner moved his office to Pilgrim's Rest. Within a year there were 21 stores, 18 canteens and three bakeries. The collection of tents grew with brick houses, a church, a newspaper (Gold News, founded in 1874, and renamed The Gold Fields Mercury) and the Royal Hotel. Besides the diggers, there were also tradesmen, storekeepers, canteen owners, rogues, sinners and saints, barmaids, and parsons. By 1896 many of the tents had been replaced by permanent buildings.

William TRAFFORD is said to have called it Pilgrim's Rest, as that was where the diggers hoped to find their dreams and make a home. It is also claimed in the Rev. Gerald HERRING's book, The pilgrim diggers of the seventies, published in 1949, states that Alec welcomed newcomers with the words "Here comes another pilgrim to his rest." and that is where it got its name. By the end of 1873 there were about 1500 diggers working 4000 claims in and around Pilgrim's Rest. No digging was permitted between sunset and sunrise or on Sundays. The valley was rich in gold with large finds made at places like Breakneck Gully, Brown's Hill, Golden Point, Peach Tree Creek, Poverty Creek, and Starvation Gully. After the first Anglo-Boer War, won by the Boers after the battle of Majuba in 1881, the Volksraad (Transvaal Government) granted concessions to individuals and companies.

In 1881, David BENJAMIN, a London financier, obtained the mining rights to Pilgrim's Rest and the surrounding area. He set about compensating the remaining diggers for their claims. He consolidated all his claims and formed the Transvaal Gold Exploration Company. In 1895, the company amalgamated with other smaller companies, to form the Transvaal Gold Mining Estates (TGME). The alluvial deposits were eventually depleted and many left or turned to forestry. Gold mining in Pilgrim's Rest ceased in 1972.

Main Street circa 1910
During September 1901, General Ben VILJOEN established his headquarters at Pilgrim's Rest. It comprised the Lydenburg Commando of about 400 men under Commandant David SCHOEMAN, and 500 Johannesburg burghers under the General's brother, Commandant W. VILJOEN. About 40 families still lived in Pilgrim's Rest at that time. The town's women made clothes for the Boers from curtains and the linen they had at home. While spying on the British forces in the mountains, Michael Joseph COONEY, an Irish-born American, saw gold amalgam at the deserted mines. He told his Irish compatriot, Willy H. BARTER. Various members of the Johannesburg Commando had worked on the gold mines before the war. The gold ingots cast by the Boers were not acceptable to some people, they wanted real money as currency. In February 1902 the Volksraad gave permission for minting gold pounds, and the Munt te Velde (Mint in the Field) came into being. The production of Veldpond and the Veldpond Medals took place in the workshop of TGME at Pilgrim’s Rest. The team, appointed by Andries Gustav Erlank PIENAAR (from Krugersdorp), to make the coins included:

  • Michael COONEY, essayer for testing the purity of the gold
  • Dick GRAHAM, experienced in handling the crucible for melting the gold
  • William George REID, a blacksmith who worked in Johannesburg gold mines, to adapt the machinery of the Transvaal Gold Mining Estates for the process of minting gold coins, and to soften and harden the dices
  • Petrus Johannes KLOPPERS, a teacher from the Netherlands who taught in Barberton and had training in botany and drawing, for designing the coin and engraving the dices
  • Others involved included General MULLER, A. MARSHALL and W.H. BARTER.

On 22 November 1899, Michael Joseph COONEY was found guilty of culpable homicide by the Circuit Court for Soutpansberg. He was sentenced to five years in prison. He had acted in self-defence, and the Pietersburg residents lodged a petition calling for his release on the grounds that "Mr Cooney is a man of good and honourable character". He also wrote a letter to the Volksraad pleading for his release. The prison warden sent the petition and the letter, with his own recommendation that prisoner 302 be given special pardon in view of the political situation in the country. Soon after peace was declared, British Intelligence Officer took Michael into custody on the following grounds:

  • He disguised himself as a prospector to spy on the British military during the Anglo-Boer War,
  • During the war, he took a battery from the house of the Pietersburg Gold Mine Engineer, DAMANT, to give to Carel CRAEMER (a young German who fought on the side of the Boers) to be used for the ignition of dynamite to blew up trains carrying the British,
  • He made a bomb for General Ben VILJOEN to blew up the Spekboom River, to prevent the British from entering Pilgrim's Rest,
  • He scraped gold amalgam from the copper plates at the gold mines in the Lydenburg area and gave it to the Boers.

The Intelligence Officer asked his Captain in Pretoria, what to do with Michael. He was told that no further action was necessary, and the man could be released.

Michael was born in Galsworth, Ireland in 1844 to Patrick and Margaret COONEY. His father died at the age of 102. Michael was one of 13 children. He immigrated to America, first settling in San Juan County, where he worked at the Black Wonder mine. At some stage  while there, his sister, Beatrice, visited him. She met and married Carroll THOMAS. Michael next worked near Lake City, Colorado. He later moved to Leadville, Colorado, where he became involved with the New Years mine, which he later sold. Next, he moved to Cassell, Montana, where he worked in silver mines. He later moved to the Whitlach Union and McIntyre gold mines in Unionville, Montana. After this, he decided to head for Europe and later went to Ireland and then found his way to South Africa. He remained in South Africa until 1904, returning to America. He moved to the Oroville district in Butte County, California, where he bought the acquired the Bank Mine Company with a partner. Michael married twice, first to Annie TAYLOR, and then to Emma ERFURTH. He died some time between 1908 and 1929.

Hendrik (Harry) Wilhelm STRUBEN and Pieter Jacobs MARAIS bought the farms Ponies Krantz and Driekop, but sold them just before the gold rush. Ponies Krantz became Pilgrim's Rest. Harry went on to be appointed the first President of the Chamber of Mines in 1887. In 1889 he retired to Cape Town, where he died at the age of 75, in 1915.

Mrs Mac's Shop
Maud Mary PURCELL was the first white child born in Pilgrim's Rest on 25 August 1874, to John PURCELL and Mary Ann. In 1872 her parents arrived in the Mac Mac area from Kimberley. They later moved to Pilgrim's Rest. In 1878 the family moved to Swaziland for a short while, but returned to Pilgrim's Rest in 1880. Maud married William Herbert LILLEY on 12 June 1898. They had three children, a son and two daughters, including Sheila Mary Marguerite. Sheila married MACFARLANE. She became the owner of Mrs Mac's Shop. In 1905 it housed the Royal Hotel's off-sales, then was rented as a chemist in 1913, but later became the general dealer. In 1978, Sheila was the oldest resident of Pilgrim's Rest when she left the town. William died in 1903, and in 1909 Maud married William Price GRIFFITHS (he died in October 1945). They had two daughters. After his death, Maud moved to her daughter, Mrs. FRASER, in Witfield, Boksburg.

The first transport service to Pilgrim's Rest was William LEATHERN's wagon, which travelled to Lydenburg every weekend. He claimed that he never left anyone at Lydenburg no matter what his condition. In the 1880s the Zeederberg Coach Service arrived, which also served as the mail service.

Robber's Grave
The Old Cemetery contains the famous Robber's Grave. This unknown man was caught and convicted of tent robbing on the diggings during 1873-1876. A was banished from the town, but a few days later he was spotted on a hill, now known as Cemetery Hill. He was shot and killed, and buried where he fell. His grave lies north-south to brand him forever a thief. All other graves lie east-west. No burial records were kept until 1911. The earliest marked grave is of a man crushed by a boulder on his claim in 1874. There are 320 known graves but only 163 have headstones or markers. Most are simply marked out with stones. The There are many nationalities of people buried in the cemetery - Englishmen, Swedes, Australians, Welshmen, Afrikaners, Indians, Italians, Germans, Canadians and Tasmanians to name but a few. Drowning, suicide, mining accidents, malaria, alcoholism, murder, snake bites, pneumonia and dysentery took its toll. The great flood of 1909 claimed the lives of at least 15 people. A large number of inhabitants succumbed to the influenza epidemic of 1918.

Miss MCNALLY was the daughter of the owner of the Pilgrim's and Sabie News. In 1910 the first issue of the Pilgrim’s and Sabie News was published, and continued until the mid 1940s. The printing office was originally a house built before 1900. A school operated from 1894 to 1917, with six teachers at one stage (including Harry COLES and Mrs. PATTERSON), and between 160 to 180 students. In 1913, Miss MCNALLY's class included:

  • Allen MACKENZIE, the Post Master's son
  • Donald MENZIES, the Chemist's son
  • Violet CHARLTON, whose father worked at Driekop
  • Christie MARKUS, later known as Oom Christie
  • Frankie BERETTA
  • Boris CHAITOW, the hairdresser's son
  • James DOIG,
  • two SHEPPARD sisters
  • Susanna POTGIETER

J.H. DE BEER was a well-known pioneer. He built a number of houses in Pilgrim's Rest, including Rose Cottage. During the Anglo-Boer War he was involved in the Siege of Ladysmith. He owned a butchery and bakery.

R.W. RICHARDSON had the government contract to transport travellers from Graskop to Pilgrim's Rest, as well as mail deliveries from Zeederburg Coach Services.

Charles H. CHAITOW was the hairdresser and tobacconist, as well as the agent for Central News Agency and a book shop. Like most shop owners then, the family lived at the back of the shop. He died 05 July 1933, age 57.

The first White woman in the area was Mrs. Tom MCLACHLAN, who lived in a stone house at Mac Mac. She was already there in 1872, and helped many travellers stricken with fever. Mrs. DIETRICKS, wife of a German officer, arrived with her husband in 1873. He was the assistant to the Mining Commissioner. They had two daughters, including Elsa who married SMITHERS and wrote a book about her life in Pilgrim's Rest, March Hare.

Elizabeth Russel
Elsa recalled the story of Elizabeth RUSSEL who lived in a tent on the diggings and worked her own claim. There were two RUSSEL girls - Elizabeth (Bessie, born 29 May 1850 in London) and Annie - daughters of Mr. H.B. RUSSEL, a resident in Heidelberg and Pretoria, and a miller and merchant in the 1870s. The family came to South Africa in 1855, settling in Pietermaritzburg, where the father ran Boston Mills. The girls attended Cheltenham House School in Pinetown. After school, Elizabeth became a governess and later taught at Caversham. The family moved to Heidelburg, and Elizabeth ran a private school in Harrismith. Alfred (Tucker) was the girls' brother, whom Elizabeth followed to the diggings in defiance of her father. They pitched their tent next to the DIETRICK family, who were friends of their parents. Later, with no luck on their claims, Elizabeth set up a business making sausage rolls and ginger beer. Soon afterwards, her brother left, and she moved to another camp. Here she finally found rich pickings, and together with another brother, Harry, they did well. Elizabeth married one of her fellow diggers, the American William A.B. CAMERON. The wedding was at St Alban's Church in Pretoria on 12 December 1874 and was attended by President Thomas BURGERS, who proposed the toast to the couple. Soon afterwards, William was elected to represent the Lydenburg diggers in the Volksraad. In 1876, the couple visited America as representatives of the ZAR at an international exhibition in Philadelphia. After their return, the couple separated, and Elizabeth looked after their five children. William died in 1905. She died in May 1931 in Volksrust. Her grand-daughters included Mrs. D.W. BOSCH, and a great-grand-daughter, Mrs. Joan MARSH.

Mail Coach
In 1912 the second Zeederberg Coach robbery took place on Pilgrim's Hill. The highwayman was Tommy DENNISON. He had come to South Africa from Ireland as a Private during the Anglo-Boer War, as a bugler and dispatch rider for the Earl of Athlone. He was discharged after being wounded on active duty. Tommy moved to Pilgrim's Rest and found work as a barber but the business did not do well. Next, he employed Black women and started a laundry service, but he landed in heavy debt. On the day of the robbery, the coach was stopped by a masked rider on a grey horse that Tommy had recently bought from the Reverend Maurice PONSONBY. When Piet DU PLESSIS, the coach driver, was ordered to throw down the money boxes, one box fell and burst open scattering silver half crown and florins on the ground. Instead of gold sovereigns, like the 1899 robbery, he only found a case of silver coins in the coach. When he started to pay his debts with the stolen money, he was arrested and imprisoned for five years in Pretoria Central Prison. He returned to Pilgrim's Rest and worked as a cartage contractor for the mines. Later he opened the Highwayman's Garage.

Highwayman's Garage
North of Pilgrim's Rest, built in 1915 by Transvaal Gold Mining Estates, Alanglade was the residence of the mine manager until 1972 when the last mine was closed. The large and graceful double-storey is now a period house museum and furnished with items from the early 1900s.

Dredzen Shop Museum is a typical general dealer store of the period 1930 to 1950. The home and lifestyle of the post second World War years can be seen in the owner’s residence adjoining the shop. The Miners House Museum was built in 1913. Central Garage was built in 1926 as an agency for Chevrolet Motors. It also provided bus tours to the Kruger National Park, sold Pegasus petrol, rented vehicles and rendered a panel-beating service.

03 July 2012


The 10th Annual Symposium of Heritage South Africa will take place in Paarl from 04 to 06 October 2012, hosted by the Drakenstein Heritage Foundation. The symposium theme is "“From survival to opulence in 100 years: the rise of the Cape Dutch manor house”". Social historians, researchers, architects and restorers will discuss the social and economic history of the Valley and its influence on the development of Cape homesteads. The symposium will trace the development of the Cape from its geological beginnings, through the earliest inhabitants, to the arrival of the Dutch East India Company. Guests will visit 18th century sites in town and surrounding farms. The symposium, in the hall of the Toringkerk, will be of interest to members of heritage societies and anyone interested in heritage and cultural history.


An archiving workshop will be offered at the Afrikaanse Taalmuseum in Paarl from Tuesday 28 August 2012 to Thursday 30 August 2012. The workshop is suitable for librarians, museum and heritage workers, records staff and archive assistants. The facilitator is Pétria Marais, who is a qualified archivist with many years of experience in records management and archives. The workshop includes practical sessions and focuses on topics such as:

  • the differences between libraries, archives, museums and record centres
  • acquisition and collection
  • appraisal (including the value of records and disposal instructions)
  • sorting and arrangement
  • description / indexing
  • preservation
  • the disaster recovery plan
  • tips on making the archives available

No previous knowledge is required. The course fee is R1 850 per person. A light lunch and tea / coffee will be provided. For more information, contact Amira Clayton on Tel: 021 863 4809 / 0543 or kommunikasie@taalmuseum.co.za

01 July 2012


The 11th Duke of Atholl, John MURRAY, was born in South Africa on 09 January 1929. He died in Limpopo Province on 15 May 2012, aged 83, after suffering a stroke. He was a South African land surveyor, who inherited one of Scotland’s grandest titles in 1996. From 1786 to 1957 the Dukes of Atholl sat in the House of Lords as Earl Strange. The dukedom was conferred by Queen Anne in 1703 on the 2nd Marquess of Atholl.

Duke of Atholl Coat-of-Arms

1) John MURRAY, 1st Duke, born 1660, died 1724, eldest son of the 1st Marquess. He was a politician and soldier, and fought in the Glorious Revolution for William III and Mary II.
1.1) John MURRAY born 1684, died 1709, eldest son of the 1st Duke, died unmarried.
1.2) William MURRAY born 1689, died 1746, second son of the 1st Duke, was a Jacobite who was attainted and executed, unmarried, for treason, excluded from the succession.
1.3) James MURRAY, 2nd Duke, born 1690, died 1764, third son of the 1st Duke.
1.4) Lord Charles MURRAY born 1691, died 1720, fourth son of the 1st Duke, died without issue.
1.5) Lt.-Gen. Lord George MURRAY, attainted Jacobite, fifth son of the 1st Duke.

1.3) James MURRAY, 2nd Duke, born 1690, died 1764, third son of the 1st Duke.
1.3.1) John MURRAY born 1728, died 1729, eldest son of the 2nd Duke.
1.3.2) James MURRAY born 1735, died 1736, second and youngest son of the 2nd Duke.

1.5.1) John MURRAY, 3rd Duke, born 1729, died 1774. John Murray, 4th Duke, born 1755, died 1830, eldest son of the 3rd Duke. John MURRAY, 5th Duke, born 1778, died 1846, eldest son of the 4th Duke, died unmarried, title to his nephew.

2) George MURRAY, 6th Duke, born 1814, died 1864, eldest son of James MURRAY 1st Baron Glenlyon.

2.1) John James Hugh Henry STEWART-MURRAY, 7th Duke, born 1840, died 1917, only son of the 6th Duke. He devoted many years to editing the records of the family's history.
2.1.1) John STEWART-MURRAY born 1869, died 1869, eldest son of the 7th Duke.
2.1.2) John George STEWART-MURRAY, 8th Duke, born 1871, died 1942.
2.1.3) Major Lord George STEWART-MURRAY born 1873, died 1914, died without issue.
2.1.4) James Thomas STEWART-MURRAY, 9th Duke, born 1879, died 1957, died unmarried.

2.1.2)John George STEWART-MURRAY, 8th Duke, born 1871, died 1942, second son of the 7th Duke, married Katharine Marjorie (the Red Duchess). With honorary degrees from Oxford, McGill, Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds, Durham and Columbia Universities, she was the first woman ever to have held office as Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Education from 1924 until 1929 in a Conservative administration. The 8th Duke died without issue.

2.1.4)James STEWART-MURRAY, 9th Duke, born 1879, died 1957, fourth and youngest son of the 7th Duke, died unmarried and without issue.

3) George Iain MURRAY, 10th Duke, born 19 June 1931 in Edinburgh, died 28 February 1996 in Perthshire. He had suffered a stroke at Blair Castle. Son of Lt- Col George Anthony MURRAY, who was the son of Sir George Evelyn Pemberton MURRAY, a distinguished civil servant and great-grandson of the Rev George Edward MURRAY and great-great-great-grandson of the Right Rev Lord George MURRAY (second son of the 3rd Duke). The 10th Duke died unmarried. Title to his third cousin, another descendant of the 3rd Duke.

4) John MURRAY, 11th Duke, born 1929 in South Africa, died 2012 in South Africa.

4.2) Bruce George Ronald MURRAY, 12th Duke, born 1960 in South Africa, eldest son of the 11th Duke.

Blair Castle
The family estate since 1269 is Blair Atholl, a 13th-century castle set in 120,000 acres on the Strath of Garry. The 10th Duke was devoted to the family estate, and revived the family’s private army, the Atholl Highlanders, composed of friends and estate workers. In 1844, after a visit to Blair Atholl, Queen Victoria granted the Atholls the privilege of having their own army. Descendants of the Murrays provided a guard of honour during her visit, and in recognition, she granted colours to the regiment and the right to bear arms.

Cap badge of the Atholl Highlanders
The regiment has roots back to 1777, when it was raised for service in America. Before the regiment could leave, the war ended, and in 1783 they were disbanded. In 1842 and 1844, Queen Victoria visited Scotland and the regiment provided the Guards of Honour. The original colours were presented by Lady Glenlyon on behalf of Queen Victoria on 04 September 1845. Therafter, the Atholl Highlanders took part in regimental parades and in the Braemar Games. After the First World War, these parades fell away and the regiment was mostly seen when the pipers performed on special occasions. In 1966, the 10th Duke decided to revive the regiment and to hold annual parades. The regiment grew to 100 members. Soldiers are mainly local residents, although the officers are recruited by invitation from the Duke. The annual parade is held during the last week of May at Blair Castle. The Braemar Games is an annual event, with the Queen as patron. The Atholl Highlanders march from Blair Castle to Braemar, a distance of about 40km. This march was first done in 1845 and five times until 1873. The regiment then took a break for 100 years, before continuing the tradition in1973. The last time the march was held, was in 1982. In 2011 the march involved presenting the regimental and royal colours to Queen Elizabeth. It was also the first time that the Marquis of Tullibardine (now the 12th Duke) took command of the Atholl Highlanders. His sons, Michael and David, were also on parade, each co-commanding half a company. They live and work in London. In early 2012, the now 12th Duke joined the regiment on their visit to the town of Athol in Worcester County, Massachusetts, USA. The regiment was invited to take part in a parade to celebrate the town’s 250th anniversary. After the visit, the regiment visited Bermuda, at the invitation of the Governor.

Blair Atholl and its castle became one of Britain's most popular tourist attractions, drawing some 165,000 paying visitors a year, under the 10th Duke's guidance. When he became Duke, he was a junior manager in a family printing business. At the age of 10 years, Iain's father died in Italy as the commanding officer of the Scottish Horse. Iain attended Eton at the time. Unable to do National Service due to medical reasons, he attended Christ Church, Oxford, followed by work in the printing businesses owned by his maternal grandfather, the second Viscount Cowdray. As 10th Duke, he was survived by his half-sister, Sarah TROUGHTON and her son Robert.

The 11th Duke, during his only visit to Blair Atholl, in 1994 before the 10th Duke's death, made it clear that he had no wish to leave the sunshine of South Africa for the cold and damp of Scotland. He also stated that he did not own a kilt and rarely drank whisky. At the time he was a retired land surveyor, and his connection to the 10th Duke had only recently been discovered. The 10th Duke, 6ft 5in tall and known as Wee Iain, died a day after it was announced that he had placed the 120-room castle and estate into a charitable trust, the Blair Charitable Trust. This would save millions in inheritance taxes and guarantee that the historic property will remain under Scottish control. The new Duke therefore acquired no land with the title, and was happy that the land had gone into a charitable trust. Shortly after his predecessor’s death, he wrote to the Trust suggesting the 85-strong Atholl Highlanders be retained and that a committee of senior officers take over its running. The Duke continued to live a modest life in South Africa, and visited Blair Atholl almost every year to inspect the Atholl Highlanders Parade. His last visit was in 2010, after which ill-health kept him from visiting Scotland.

John MURRAY, 11th Duke of Atholl
John MURRAY was the only son of Major George MURRAY (born 20 Nov 1884 in Blithfield, Staffordshire, died 21 Jun 1940) and his wife Joan EASTWOOD (daughter of William Edward EASTWOOD, born 23 Jun 1902 in Johannesburg) who married on 17 January 1928 in Seaford, East Sussex. His father survived the Battle of the Somme in World War 1 but was killed in action in 1940. John was the grandson of Rev. Douglas Stuart MURRAY, Rector of Blithfield, Staffordshire, who was the grandson of the Right Rev. George MURRAY, who was the son of the Right Rev. Lord George Murray, the second son of the 3rd Duke. John grew up in the mountains of The Downs, in the Wolkberg, where his parents nurtured his love of nature. He attended primary school in Parktown and completed his high school years at Michaelhouse. His own military background was brief, a three-month stint in the Grahamstown Regiment. He took a degree in Engineering at the University of the Witwatersrand and became a land surveyor. He lived for much of his life in a modest home in the small two-street village of Haernertsburg, near Tzaneen, where he owned a business which made paper from elephant dung. On 15 December 1956 he married Margaret (Peggy) Yvonne LEACH, a reflexologist, in Pretoria. She was the only daughter of Ronald Leonard LEACH and Faith KLEINENBERG, and was born on 08 July 1935 in Louis Trichardt. John and Peggy had three children:

4.1) Lady Jennifer MURRAY born 08 February 1958 in Louis Trichardt, married firstly Iain PURDON in 1979 (divorced 1985) and secondly Martin GLODEK in 1995. By her first husband she has two children:
4.1.1) Grant Clive PURDON (born 1980)
4.1.2) Charlene PURDON (born 1982)
Jennifer and her husband own the local pub in Haenertsburg.

4.2) Bruce George Ronald MURRAY born 06 April 1960 in Louis Trichardt, married Lynne Elizabeth ANDREW in 1984 in Johannesburg (daughter of Nicholas ANDREW and Evelyn Donne DE VILLIERS, born on 07 June 1963 in Johannesburg) They have three children:
4.2.1) Michael Bruce John MURRAY, Marquess of Tullibardine, born 05 March 1985 in Louis Trichardt, studied sports science at the University of Pretoria.
4.2.2) Lord David Nicholas George MURRAY born 31 January 1986 in Louis Trichardt.
4.2.3) Lady Nicole MURRAY born 11 July 1987 in Duiwelskloof, married to Peter PIEK.

Bruce and Lynne divorced in 2003. He married Charmaine Myrna DU TOIT in 2009.

4.3) Lord Craig John MURRAY born on 05 June 1963 in Louis Trichardt, married Inge BAKKER in 1988 (daughter of Auke BAKKER of Bedfordview). They have two children:
4.3.1) Carl (born 1993)
4.3.2) Shona (born 1995)

The Duke's eldest son and heir apparent uses the courtesy title Marquess of Tullibardine. The 11th Duke was succeeded by his elder son, Bruce George Ronald, who was born in 1960. The 11th Duke's black-and-yellow flag, tunic and sporran, as well as photographs and other Scottish memorabilia, now adorn the wall of a pub in Haenertsburg.
The 12th Duke and HRH Prince Michael of Kent at the Atholl Highlanders Parade at Blair Castle on 26 May 2012

Bruce runs a signage business, Stamp and Sign Shop, in Louis Trichardt. He is now also the Colonel-in-Chief of the 100-strong Atholl Highlanders, the only private army in Europe. He is also a volunteer member of the Transvaal Scottish Regiment. The regimental tartan is the Murray of Atholl and is worn by the drummers, the pipers wear the Murray of Tullibardine. Both tartans symbolise the regiment's connections to the Duke of Atholl. Shortly after his father's death, Bruce had to fly to Scotland for the annual inspection of the regiment and the traditional opening of the Atholl Gathering and Highland Games. Bruce matriculated at Jeppe Boys' High in Johannesburg and studied forestry at the Saasveld Forestry College in George. He did two years military service in South Africa. He was commissioned into the Atholl Highlanders in 2000, being appointed as Lieutenant-Colonel. The heir apparent is the Bruce's eldest son, Michael Bruce John MURRAY, Marquess of Tullibardine. Bruce's mother is now known as the Dowager Duchess of Atholl. The Duke is referred to as His Grace by reference, and Your Grace in spoken style with Sir as alternative.